This week on the Pat Kenny Show, we discussed chocolate poisoning in dogs, and then we took the usual queries from listeners.
Essential facts about chocolate poisoning
- The big risk is not from giving chocolate treats
- The big risk is dogs stealing chocolate
- Dose to kill a small dog (5kg):
+ Dark chocolate: 50g – half a bar
+ Milk chocolate: 100g – one bar
- Lock up your Easter eggs!
- If your dog does eat chocolate, phone your vet immediately
- I’ve an outdoor pond, about three feet square & two feet deep. I’ve five goldfish, 2-3 years old & big, relatively speaking. When changing water, should I also clean out algae from walls & bottom or leave well enough alone? Kieran in Glasnevin.
- Is there any way of deterring cats from entering my property? Two of my neighbours have been “accumulating” cats, for want of a better word, over the past few years, buying and taking in new ones but also feeding strays. Our village is teeming with them and they spend their nights fighting/mating noisily on my roof, they sleep on and scratch the paint on my car and use my garden as a giant litter box. They have become a real nuisance and I want to know if there is any scent, device, etc that will put them off coming into my yard?
- Any cure for a nervous dog? Mike in Clare
- I have a 4yr old male neutered vaccinated cat. He has had an intermittent cough since i got him. He will wake up and cough. He sometimes cough after running like a mad thing up and down the garden. He doesn’t seem like he’s struggling for breath but his coughing sessions can last a few minutes. Advice please?
- I had my pet rabbits teeth clipped 6 weeks ago but they have overgrown again after 3-4 weeks, what’s the solution other than clipping every 3 weeks? Seamus