Antifreeze poisoning

Antifreeze poisoning is common, because pets like the taste of this highly toxic substance.

Antifreeze causes severe kidney failure, and if a pet is ever suspected of ingesting the substance, it’s very important that they are rushed to the vet as soon as possible. Early treatment can make the difference between life and death.

Motorists can help prevent accidental ingestion of antifreeze. Most cases of antifreeze poisoning occur around the pet’s own home and are usually due to improper storage or disposal. The safe use, storage and disposal of antifreeze is the best way to help prevent accidental ingestion.

The following guidelines help pet owners avoid pet exposures to antifreeze.

Antifreeze Poisoning Prevention Tips

  1. Always clean up antifreeze spills immediately.
  2. Check your car regularly for leaks.
  3. Always store antifreeze containers in clearly marked containers and in areas that are inaccessible to your pets.
  4. Never allow your pets to have access to the area when you are draining antifreeze from your car.
  5. Propylene glycol-containing products are a less toxic form of antifreeze and could be used instead of conventional ethylene glycol antifreeze.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note that I am unable to answer veterinary questions in comments. If you have questions or concerns about your pet's health it is always better to contact your vet.

Privacy | Terms and Conditions