What Makes Veterinary Scales Ideal for Weighing Animals?
For any veterinary practice, weighing animals is a critical aspect of daily operations. Along with other vital statistics, weight measurements help veterinarians with:
- Monitoring an animal’s health and well-being
- Advising owners how much to feed their pets
- Discovering and monitoring animal pregnancies
- Tracking the growth of new-born and baby animals
- Determining formulation and amount of feed for livestock
- Preparing and administering medications for sick animals
- Prescribing the right dosage of medication, deworming or supplements
- Suggesting exercise or dietary changes for overweight/underweight animals
- … and more
Knowing an animal’s weight is particularly important for veterinarians, but animal weighing scales also help pet owners and livestock farmers to measure weight correctly. This information helps them provide the right diet, care and medication to ensure their pets or livestock are in good shape.
However, Weighing Animals is Far from Easy!
As any veterinarian or vet tech knows, weighing animals can be a challenge. Whether it’s a tiny kitten or a large horse, no animal likes being captured and held still for the time it takes to weigh them. Even after you manage to position them on a scale, their movements can interfere with the measurements taken.
Like other specialized equipment, these weighing scales are designed to tackle the specific challenges of a veterinary practice. They are durable and easy to clean, which makes them ideal for both indoor and outdoor weighing. Most importantly, though, they can capture accurate weight measurements even with a moving animal.
Basically, you need a scale with a function for dynamic/animal weighing, where the instrument measures the average force exerted by liquids, animals and other moving loads, for a specified time period. Based on this internal calculation, it provides a more accurate weight reading than standard scales can offer.
How Else Do Veterinary Scales Help Your Practice?
Here are some other benefits of veterinary scales to consider:
- Animal weighing scales are designed with durable and sturdy materials, so they offer dependable functionality for years to come.
- Many scales are portable, so you can use them for weighing small animals or larger livestock both in the field and in the office.
- Most veterinary scales are low-maintenance, with easy-to-clean surfaces and flexible weighing areas that can measure a wide range of animals.
- Scales with a hold function make weighing faster and more convenient by holding readings on the display while you focus on handling the animal.
- The majority of animal scales are extremely easy to use, especially if they have dynamic/animal weighing functions for weighing moving animals.
Get the Right Scale Type for Different Weighing Tasks
Animal weighing scales are available in various sizes, configurations and capabilities. For instance, platform scales are usually portable and feature a hold function, so readings can be noted after the animal is moved off the scale. Precision balances are generally compact and perfect for lab testing, measuring liquids, mixing compounds, portioning small amounts of feed/medication, etc. Some models can also be used to weigh small animals.
Livestock scales reduce the time, effort and guesswork involved in animal weighing, but they also have other applications in a veterinary practice. There’s a huge variety of weighing equipment available for every application, so it’s a good idea to explore different veterinary scales to see which one best suits your needs.
Kevin Hill is the content editor and online marketing manager at http://www.scalesu.com/. Always an early adopter and fast learner; Kevin combines his technical knowledge with content marketing in creative ways to give Quality Scales Unlimited a competitive edge.