THIS STORY IS FROM OUR ARCHIVES
Pepsi started to itch last week. He was using his hind leg to scratch the back of his neck, and he nibbled at his lower back with his teeth. When Leona had a closer look, she could see fleas crawling around in his coat. Leona realised that the only answer was to get rid of the fleas, so she headed up to a local pet shop. She was sold three products: a shampoo, a flea collar and a spray for her house. She was told to leave Pepsi outdoors for two weeks.
She carried out the instructions as best she could: she gave Pepsi a shampoo, put on the flea collar, and sprayed her bed, but she didn’t feel that it would be right to put her outside when she was used to being an indoor pet. A day later, Pepsi was still itching as much as ever, and she could still see fleas moving around her coat, so she decided to bring her to the vet.
A TRIP TO THE VET
The first thing I did was to check up on the details of what Leona had bought in the pet shop: I needed to work out why the fleas were still there. I checked the small print on the various items, so that I could explain to Leona exactly what she had bought.
The shampoo was just a coat cleaning shampoo, with no active ingredients that would kill fleas. The flea collar, in contrast, contained a potent organophosphate that was originally developed as a nerve gas in the Second World War. Flea collars of this type were banned in France two years ago, after the authorities decided that the risk of human toxicity was too great. There was a concern that the toxic chemical impregnated in the collars could be absorbed through the skin of anyone cuddling or sleeping with their pets. The flea collars are still for sale in the UK and Ireland, but perhaps this is why Leona had been advised that Pepsi should sleep outside.
The spray for Leona’s house contained a knock down flea killer, but crucially it didn’t include a chemical to prevent flea eggs from hatching out: without this extra ingredient, Pepsi could be assaulted by a wave of newly hatched fleas in a few months’ time. Flea eggs can incubate for up to nine months before hatching, so the best household flea sprays leave a residue that lasts for a year, preventing new fleas from appearing.
Now that Leona understood exactly what products she’d bought, she was curious: how come the powerful organophosphates had not eradicated the fleas? I was able to answer this: the pet shop assistant had not asked Leona about other animals in her household. Leona also owns a cat called Molly who was probably harbouring fleas that were then hopping onto Pepsi. Dog and cat fleas are equally happy to infest both species of animal. There’s no point in just treating one animal in a multi-pet household: to eradicate fleas, all pets need to be treated at once.
PEPSI WAS GIVEN EFFECTIVE FLEA PRODUCTS
Leona left my clinic with three new products. First, a safe and effective spot-on flea drop for Molly the cat. Second, a household flea spray that would stop flea eggs from hatching for a full year. And third, a new, highly effective flea treatment for Pepsi. It’s a tasty tablet that he took straight out of my hand, containing a long lasting chemical that will continue to kill fleas and ticks for three months.
I phoned Leona a couple of days later: the fleas had finally been fully eradicated from her home and her pets. Pepsi had stopped itching. And he hadn’t even had to endure the extra stress of being banished outdoors.
- Fleas are common in Ireland all year round
- A range of products is available to treat them
- Vets usually stock the safest and most effective flea control method