Can sick humans pass on their bugs to pets?
In this week’s Newstalk podcast from the Pat Kenny show, we talked about the diseases that pets can pick up from people. Listen by clicking the link at the foot of this page.
We are often told about the illnesses that people can pick up from pets – so-called zoonoses.
What about reverse zoonoses: the illnesses that pets can get from people?
The truth is that this is rare, but still, pet owners should be aware of the potential risks, so that they can protect their pets in certain circumstances.
To listen to the podcast and read my Telegraph online article, follow the links below.
Questions from listeners
- At what age do u spay kittens? Thanks Anne, Dublin.
- I have a 3 year old pug yesterday she wasn’t herself she was sitting down staring at the floor and shaking and today as she sleeps she is shaking in her sleep she was out for a walk with our other dog yesterday and our other dog is fine was wondering could this be poison?
- We have a 2 year old cocker springer cross. In the last week his toilet patterns have changed in that he has been whining and barking at 1-2am looking to get out. Once out he goes to the toilet and then heads back to bed. We haven’t changed his food or his meal times. Having to get up in the middle of the night is becoming exasperating!!
- My friend has just got a puppy bitch and already has a dog wondering around her. At what age should he get the bitch spayed as the dog hasn’t been neutered but they don’t want anymore puppies?
- What’s a good laxative to give a dog? My dog has a hernia and get compacted regularly. It’s painful for him to get cleaned out by the vet. Can I help him with some other way.
- What can you give a swan, other than bread?