This week on Ireland AM, we covered the subject of Assistance Dogs for children with autism. Pete was joined by Uzza, a much loved working Assistance Dog.
- Assistance Dogs for autistic children were introduced in 2005
- Irish Guide Dogs were the first European organisation to offer them
- The demand has outstripped supply in the past three years
Benefits of assistance dogs
- Help children develop self confidence
- Offer access to emotional support
- Act as a safety device, stopping children from bolting